Save Time & Simplify: Switch to E-Bill
Starting July 1, Hartselle Utilities will offer E-Bills – electronic versions of utility bills that customers can view and pay online.
“We have considered offering paperless bills for a while,” explains HU Customer Service Manager Terri Harris. “This program offers greater convenience and security for our customers, not to mention the environmental benefits of cutting out paper statements.”
The benefits of signing up for E-Bill include:
- It’s a free service and there is no cost to enroll in paperless billing.
- You can access and pay your utility bill quickly and securely online from anywhere. There is a link directly from the E-Bill website to HU’s current online bill pay service (fees will apply for online payments).
- No more lost or delayed statements. E-Bills are available online as soon as statements are processed – at least a day before other customers receive their bills in the mail.
- You no longer have to keep up with paper utility bills. E-Bill participants will have up to 24 months of utility bill history at their fingertips (starting from the month you enroll), and you can view, save and print bills any time.
- Your utility account information is secured by your login and password information; there is no ‘paper trail’ that can be stolen by identity thieves.
- If one family switches from paper statements to electronic bills, in one year that household will save six pounds of paper and prevent 29 pounds of greenhouse gases.
- You have the option of returning to paper bills at any time (however, online bill history is not saved if you leave the E-Bill program).
- In order to view your bills online, you must be enrolled in the E-Bill program.
When you switch to E-Bill, an email will be sent to you each month to let you know that your bill is ready. Once you have signed up for E-Bill, you will no longer receive a monthly paper utility bill in the mail. However, you will receive a reminder notice in the mail if your bill has not been paid by the past due date.
To sign up for E-Bill, go to the E-Bill page. From there, you will be prompted to register online. Please note: You will need to enter your account name and account number exactly as they appear on your bill; if your account name includes a middle initial, for example, you must include the middle initial when your register or our system will not recognize your account. Also, the dashes in your account number must be entered with the numbers exactly as they appear on your paper bill. You will only need to register the first time; after that you will simply log in to the website.
After you have registered, you will no longer receive paper statements. When your utility statement becomes available, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org – please add this email to your spam filter to ensure that you receive the email – with a link to view your bill online. You can then pay your bill online by credit or debit card or through your checking account, or by mail, telephone, bank draft or in person.